Sadaputa's Rings in Outer Space

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sadaputa's Rings in Outer Space

Post by Vishnudas on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:03 am

Sunanda prabhu sent us the following email:

I was listening to the below lecture by Sadaputa, Flat Earth or Multi-dimensional Reality.
He presents his Projection Map idea here and something occurred to me that I never understood before.
The projection map idea is one in which the SB is presenting the entire flat plane of Bhumandala as a
projection map (defined as a flattened version of a sphere) of an actually spherical Bhumandala! IOW,
the Bhumandala disc, the earth region, is in reality a spherical form and the 'islands' (dvipas) are the
planets we are familiar with orbiting around it, and the oceans (sweet, salty, yogurt, ghee, etc.) are
within the planets. He verifies this with some purports from Srila Prabhupada. This is further validated
by his research and observation that the orbits of the planets in our solar system fit the measurements
of the various dvipas surrounding Jambudvipa according to SB. So when the Surya Siddhanta says the
lower planets are 'within the earth' it is taken to mean within the sphere of Bhumandala, not within
Bharatvarsha.

https://youtu.be/-N2bMR1wLSE

Of course, this is a pretty novel idea, notwithstanding the problems it brings into the picture, and
makes sense in a few ways as you will see upon listening. He even suggests that this conclusion
would be more of a threat to modern scientists, not because it is different but because it means
the primitive peoples of India knew the same thing before modern science thousands of years ago.

However, after all our discussions and research and reading Mayesvara's treatise, Sailing to
Jambudvipa, I cannot agree with his proposal. It contradicts much of what we have understood.
But it's worth the listen if you can make the time.

Vishnudas:

I've read Sadaputa's writings on the cosmology, and have watched all his videos and still I'm not convinced of
his speculations, though seeming educated and within the realm of possible.
The different sagaras of various liquids, these oceans, for one thing, are not seen in outer space,
or mentioned anywhere as lying in the
antariksha, space above us. In a poetic way we can say  "the ocean of space, la la la.." but SB is
not meant to be poetry. It's the science of God realization, summum bonam absolute truth..

The planets we know of may have subtle etherial beings on them, but it appears they aren't
drinking yogurt or sugar cane juice from any ocean
on Mars , Jupiter, Venus, Mercury etc.. or some invisable ocean circling in space around their
planet for that matter!
If we are told we just can't see these oceans in space with our mundane eyes, well then let me
introduce you to my grandpa John who died in 1957.. we have conversations all the time,
but everyone thinks I'm crazy and just talking to myself. Smile

Uttamasloka:

It’s an interesting ‘theory’ (Sadaputa's theory) for sure, but it does not reconcile with the description of space - antariksa -
which is clearly described as being ‘above’ Bhu-mandala and ‘below’ the celestial svarga.

By the dimensions of Bhū-maṇḍala experts indicate the dimension of the sky above the earth. They
are like two halves of a bean seed. Antarikṣa joins the two together. SB, 5.21.2

Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura's  commentary:

Niṣpāva is a type of bean, ādīnām indicates less specific seeds. Just as by seeing the dimension of
one of the halves of the seed one can understand the dimension of the other half, one should
consider the dimension of the earthly sphere and the heavenly sphere to be the same. Between
them is the antarīkṣa, measuring 200,000 yojanas [bottom to top]. It is joined to them on both its
sides. [end of commentary]

In the Sanskrit of the verse, in the word for word transliteration, mandala-manam is translated as,
“the measurement of the globe”, in both Srila Prabhupada's version and Danavir’s version. Clearly,
mandala-manam does not mean globe - it refers directly to the plane of Bhu-mandala, since the
description says the antariksa and the celestial svargas are of the same exact dimension as
Bhu-mandala. This is also confirmed in all of the commentaries of the acaryas.

Therefore, the antariksa is a circular (mandala) area that is 200,000 yojanas from Bhu-mandala up
to the celestial svarga, which is also the same dimension as Bhu-mandala. The analogy given is that
of a wheat bean. Cut it in half and separate the two halves. What is in-between is the antariksa.
The visualization of this is blatantly clear and it has nothing to do with globes.

Also, if Bhu-mandala is a collection of planets as Sadaputa has implied, then where exactly in the
antariksa are they? No descriptions like that are given in Srimad-bhagavatam or by the acaryas.
The positions of the planets and stars in the antariksa are clearly described with measurements
relative to one another, and that is entirely separate from the descriptions of Bhu-mandala.

Sunanda:
Yes, there are several discrepancies to his theory, although it is curious how the known orbits of our solar system's planets matches well with the measurements of the dvipas of Bhumandala. Perhaps there is another explanation for that.

And again, Srila Prabhupada's use of the word planet sometimes differs from our understanding, as if he is using that word because it is the popular one in our language, although that's not exactly what he is trying to say. For example, SP sometimes refers to Jambudvipa as a planet. His intention is different from what we know the word planet to mean. It doesn't mean a ball floating in space. It means more like an island, dvipa.

Uttamasloka:
That may be just part of the artistic symmetry of the entire structure. The planets/grahas move clockwise around Meru and counterclockwise relative to the kala-cakra - the wheel of time. Conversely, there is no movement whatsoever described for any part of Bhu-mandala, which is not even ‘within’ the antariksa. The antariksa is ‘above’ Bhu-mandala. Those details are very revealing IMO.

And what about the Lokaloka mountain range that blocks the light of the sun, moon and stars? It forms an outer border or limit to Bhu-mandala that also extends all the way up to the celestial regions and completely encircles Bhu-mandala. How can that possibly be conceived of in relation to a globe?

He (Srila Prabhupada) was clearly using the word planet as a bridge term to give people some sort of frame of reference.

Vishnudas

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top